PERSONAL UPDATE + DIY HEALTHY REFRESHING DRINK

Spring is finally in the country after a long time of waiting and I couldn’t be happier! It’s not that warm out yet, but it feels so go...


Spring is finally in the country after a long time of waiting and I couldn’t be happier! It’s not that warm out yet, but it feels so good to have the sun shining, which just makes everything more bearable in general.

Unfortunately, I picked up some bugs somewhere and have been bedridden for almost three weeks, so I haven’t been able to enjoy the weather yet – or to do anything for that matter... Boo. The doctor told me my body could use a lot more vitamins. Basically the lack of vitamins – and lack of sleep, I must admit – causes me to get ill all the time. Now that I’ve spent the entire Easter vacation at home, I’ve had the time to do some research about healthy food. I get served healthy meals every day, which I believe is a privilege, and eat fruit regularly, but apparently that’s not enough. So I tried to find a way to include more of those healthy foods (fruit, nuts, grains, even spices) and drinks in my diet, but in a fun way. I’ve found some interesting recipes that I can’t wait to try out and share with you!

The first thing I got from the store when I came back from the doctor was oranges. They are just so good and full of vitamin C. Whenever I get ill, that’s what I eat to get better – and it actually helps.

Now, instead of just eating them, I thought I’d make an effort. Something I wanted to try for ages is natural flavoured water. It is so simple to make and the flavour doesn’t disappoint. On top of that, it looks great on your kitchen shelf!

All you need is: fruit, ice, (sparkling) water and a glass or bowl.

You can choose whatever fruits you like. Flavoured water goes great with citrus fruit (orange, lemon or even combine with lime), berries, pineapple, watermelon... If you like herbs, you can also add mint leaves, rosemary or anything to give the water the flavour you’re going for. There are so many variations to this recipe that you can just pick whatever you want.

This is how you prepare the drink:
1- Put slices or pieces of fruit in the bowl (I went with 1/3).
2- Use a wooden spoon to squeeze the fruit, just enough so there’s a bit of juice in the bowl. Be careful not to ruin your fruit!
3- Add herbs if you wish (I used fresh mint).
4- Fill bowl to the brim with ice cubes.
5- Add water, stir so the juice spreads over the entire bowl and you’re done!


Like I said: so easy! It took me about 10 minutes to prepare and I wasn’t even in a hurry. What I love most about this is that you can drink it right away. Thanks to the ice cubes, the water doesn’t need cooling. Perfect for hot summer days or to take with you when you're working out! Not to mention all the health benefits in this lovely homemade drink! I’d list everything I’ve read so far, but I feel like this post will be too long if I do, so here's a link to one of the many pages that give more information.

My piece of advice: if you’re looking for a refreshing drink that doesn’t take much time to prepare and is full of vitamins and flavour, this is it!


Have you ever tried this yourself? Which fruits or herbs combinations did you use? Feel free to let me know!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

All images and content are copyright to Modest Mix 2013-2017.