EVENT / GETTING CREATIVE WITH LUSH BELGIUM

**Disclaimer: All credit for the images goes to Annelies Vanhove** Yesterday was quite an exciting day for Lush fans all over Belgium. ...

**Disclaimer: All credit for the images goes to Annelies Vanhove**
Yesterday was quite an exciting day for Lush fans all over Belgium. Visitors had the chance to make their own bath bombs and a fresh face mask in all four stores in the country. I didn’t want to miss this and strolled off to Ghent to join some enthusiastic people round the table!

First thing we got to work with was the Space Girl bath bomb – with popping candy! The oils used in this violet eye-catcher are of almond, bergamot and grapefruit. Almond oil nourishes and protects the skin, while bergamot and grapefruit oil are great when you’re in need of a nice, relaxing bath. On top of that, grapefruit contains a high vitamin C level, which helps boost your immune system. Two more ingredients to mix together: sodium bicarbonate – aka baking soda – and citric acid, both a powdery texture. My friend Sofie, who works at Lush, had already done this step when we came in so I’m not sure if she also added the other ingredients or colour and fragrance or if those were in the powders. And that is actually all there was to the recipe! We added glitter and used small moulds to create the usual shape Space Girl bombs have.


The Think Pink ballistic has a bright pink colour and the delicious smell of vanilla, which definitely appeals to soap enthusiasts like myself. Finishing touch: confetti and candy flowers. This bath bomb is mostly meant to be calming and skin healing. Sodium bicarbonate and citric acid mix was again the base, with added oils and other ingredients. Oils for this product were lavender oil and neroli oil, together with tonka and vanilla absolute. I had never heard of the tonka bean, so I decided to do a bit of research.

The tonka bean, originally from South America, is most famous for its unusual scent. Some would even say infamous, as there’s a law that forbids the import of tonka beans into the US. I’m not going to write why, because that’s not the purpose of this blog; don’t hesitate to look it up if you want to know! Anyway, one of its strong aromas is vanilla, which is probably why tonka is such a great extra in the Think Pink bath bomb.

I’m aware that all of the above contains a lot of technical information. I am planning on writing a short Pt. 2, as in sort of a ‘to be continued’ to this post once I’ve used the products to briefly tell you about my experiences.


Last but not least, we watched how fresh Catastrophe Cosmetic face masks are made. I have been eager to try these so obviously I got excited when I found out each of us would get a free portion to take home (thanks again for that!). The Lush website describes this face mask as cleansing and soothing. Plus it smells so good. It contains fresh blueberries, which are full of vitamins and are a great anti-oxidant. My skin has been sensitive lately, so I’m curious to see the results in a couple of weeks.

Overall, yesterday was fun! I spent the day with some great people, learning about something I’m getting more and more passionate about. The only downside was the bad weather. Belgian weather dropped 15°C in just one day. Depressing, I know. However, when I got home, a nice official envelope was staring at me from a distance. It had some great news: I got accepted for the summer job I’ve wanted so badly! Made my day!

-- Below are some pictures to give you an idea of what yesterday was like. If you’d like to see the complete album, check out the Lush Gent Facebook page.

"Make your own bath bombs"
Mixing the ingredients for Catastrophe Cosmetic

You Might Also Like

0 comments

All images and content are copyright to Modest Mix 2013-2017.