Best beauty discoveries of 2015

A new year calls for another roundup of beauty favourites! As I was rummaging through my makeup and skincare drawers, I realised that most...

Drugstore makeup favourites

A new year calls for another roundup of beauty favourites! As I was rummaging through my makeup and skincare drawers, I realised that most of my beauty purchases from the past year came from the drugstore. I feel like it hasn't gone unnoticed in the blogosphere that drugstore brands have really upped their game, yet I was still surprised to see how many of those discoveries I use on a regular basis. Because I don't want to make this list longer than it already is, I'm saving detailed reviews of particular products for future blog posts. Keep your eyes peeled for an updated skincare & foundation routine! For now, let's have a look at my favourite and most used products bought in 2015.

MAKEUP
s Catrice Velvet Finish concealer with hyaluron and SPF6: A lightweight liquid formula that's easy to blend and offers a medium coverage. This one is great for brightening the undereye area.
s Catrice Longlasting Brow Definer in 'flASHy brows'
s MAC Cream Colour Base in 'Pearl': This purchase fed my highlighter obsession for the rest of 2015. Pearl is a cream formula that can be applied with your fingers on cleansed skin, or over foundation or powder products. Super easy and it gives skin a subtle, yet beautiful pearly white sheen.
s Natural Collection powder blush 'Peach Melba'
s MaxFactor Puff Creme Blush in 'Lovely Pink

2015 was the year of base and brows for me. I feel like it was a combination of having found the right products and I also learned a couple techniques on how to improve the longevity of makeup on my skin.

Budget skincare perfume nail polish favourites

SKINCARE
s La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo+
s Caudalie Vinoperfect Enzymatic Peel mask: This was my most used face mask for the past year. I use this before a moisturising mask, such as the Antipodes Aura Manuka Honey mask (which also has purifying properties), or as a quick pick-me-up before a long night of wearing makeup. The Enzymatic Peel mask makes my skin smooth and reduces redness. I love this one.
s rose water (forgot to include it in the picture!): Back to basics with rose water as a facial toner after cleansing and before applying a serum or moisturiser. It's a trick I picked up from my grandmother; she used rose water twice every day for years and her skin has always been bright and healthy looking. The product feels very soothing; I especially notice a difference when my skin is irritated from breakouts or long exposure to the sun.
s EOS lip balm with SPF15 in the flavour 'Lemon Drop'

Last year I didn't discover much skincare-wise. I already had a (simple) routine that worked well and I tried to stick to what I liked. However, around October I started getting breakouts that didn't stop for about two months. I cut out a few - possibly irritating - products and have noticed a tremendous difference. My skin is still recovering, but it has improved so much since.


FRAGRANCE, TOOLS & EXTRA
s Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge: Hands down my number one purchase. This sponge has completely changed my foundation game! I spray it with some MAC Fix+ to get a more natural finish and add some extra hydration to avoid that makeup will feel drying on my skin.
s H&M nail polish in 'Sky High': A one-coat wonder that has lasted up until a week on my nails before. I should pick up more of these because they're awesome, but I can't decide which other shades I want just yet!
s NYC Cosmetics Shine In A Minute nail polish in 'Upper East Side': My second favourite nail polish discovery is this dupe for Essie's 'Sand Tropez'. They're pretty much identical in colour and quality, only the NYC offering costs a sixth (!) of the price.
s The Master Perfumer 'Absolute Iris' Eau de toilette
s H&M Crisp Cotton scented candle

See any products you like too? What were your favourite discoveries in 2015?

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. De Real Techniques sponge is awesome! En de catrice concealer ook :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ik moet die L'Orรฉal foundation eens proberen! Heb er al zoveel goeds over gelezen en het lijkt me ook echt wel wat voor mij.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ja, echt een super ontdekking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doen! Bij een drogere huid is het goed preppen voor het aanbrengen, maar eens de foundation erop zit is hij zooo mooi en failproof :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heel toffe producten! Ik zou mijn beauty blender ook nog eens wat meer moeten bovenhalen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ik heb de Real Techniques spons deze week ook aangeschaft en ben serieuze fan!

    ReplyDelete

All images and content are copyright to Modest Mix 2013-2017.