Life in Joensuu #2: Oktoberfest, the lakeside & more snow!

Another month has gone, which means it's time for a new update on my stay in Finland! 

 photo finland-1710-1_zpsad395314.jpg

Another month has gone, which means it's time for a new update on my stay in Finland! 

October was busy, not as eventful as my first weeks here, which was fine. We kicked it off with our own version of the best-known event of the month: Oktoberfest. The local ESN team (Erasmus Student Network) organized a sitsit, completely in German style. Sitsit is an evening filled with good food, drinking and singing. There's a list of rules and if you violate them, you get punished by the toast masters. I didn't really know what to expect from that evening, but it was well fun! I'm not sharing any pictures from the Oktoberfest Sitsit here, because I don't know if other people mind having their picture posted. Sorry!

 photo finland-1710-3_zps6d6d3a18.jpg
 photo finland-1710-8_zpsaf18b617.jpg

As you can see from the #fromwhereistand snap below the title - gotta keep up with the latest internet trends, right - autumn arrived in Eastern Finland! And so did winter, again! (Ain't that a plot twist.) I still have to get used to the seasons here. If my memory serves me well, autumn stuck around for two weeks before it started snowing for the second time in a month - it snowed again last week, and right now on this Friday morning! The snow keeps coming and going here and the funny thing is, it surprises me each time.
Anyway, we also got to enjoy a few lovely autumn days. One sunny Friday I headed to the lakeside with a friend. The lake is just a five-minute walk from where I live, so it's great to take a break from studying once in a while and go enjoy the view. This is without a doubt my favourite place in Joensuu. There's several tiny peninsulas connected by cute bridges, with reeds everywhere in between. It looks so fairytale-like.


 photo finland-1710-13_zps4887301e.jpg

All in all, October was great. However, I was looking forward to November a lot. Tonight I will be on my way to Helsinki! I'm going from Joensuu with a friend and I will be meeting my mum there too. We haven't seen each other in two months, so we should have plenty to talk about. I'm also curious to see the city. I've heard Helsinki is beautiful, so I can't wait to walk around and explore. More fun news: In two weeks I am visiting Tallinn! A lot of trips as you can read, so I will have a tight schedule this month. Combining travelling with school work and deadlines is hard, so just to give you a heads up: I don't know how much time I will have for blogging. I do have a few blog posts ready, but if I don't post anything for a while, then please bear with me - I'm out exploring the North!

I hope you all had a great October! What are your plans for November?

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Mooie foto's, ziet er prachtig uit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Joensuu is beautiful! So much open space! Have fun with your mom in Helsinki!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sunny! And it is! This is just the 'nature' part of Joensuu, the urban part of the city has a lot of open space too, it's really nice.

      Delete
  3. Die foto is prachtig, de eerste. En wat maak je een hoop leuke dingen mee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat is het prachtig daar! Zou volledig zen worden in die omgeving. Waarschijnlijk zou ik ook onderkoeld geraken, maar bon :) Veel plezier in Helsinki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. De natuur is inderdaad enorm rustgevend, en ik die altijd dacht dat ik een echt 'stadspersoon' was. En 't was leuk!

      Delete
  5. Wauw! Dat ziet er mooi uit! Finland lijkt me wel een beetje koud hahaha! Liefs, Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hier in het oosten kan het al erg koud zijn! Vooral toen er sneeuw lag, brr.

      Delete

All images and content are copyright to Modest Mix 2013-2017.